Go on an adventure where wild kiwi roam & stars sparkle
Remutaka Forest Park – Catchpool Valley
Experience real New Zealand where 100+ wild kiwi roam amongst native bush.
So many choices from easy, short walks to going bush on multi-day tramps.
It’s the perfect stop for some classic NZ camping & bird watching.
- The gate for Catchpool valley is open summer 6 am–8 pm; winter 6 am–6 pm.
- Fires are not permitted at any time.
- Dogs must be on leads at all times – this protects local wildlife including kiwi.
Catchpool Valley Campsite is just South of Wainuiomata. Follow the Coast Rd for 10 km to the main Rimutaka Forest Park entrance. Drive 2.5 km to the top carpark. This is a 45-minute drive from Wellington city.
Know before you go
- 24 hr emergency phone located at the education centre.
- Fires not permitted at any time.
average maximum temperature is 20-30° C
average maximum temperature is 12-16° C
average maximum temperature is
average maximum temperature is 14-19° C